The Masonry Society (TMS), in cooperation with Hanley Wood, the Concrete Masonry Association of California and Nevada and the Masonry Institute of America, will present a full-day, comprehensive course on Special Inspection of Structural Masonry Construction on Feb. 4, 2015 in Las Vegas, Nevada in conjunction with the World of Masonry/World of Concrete.
The seminar is aimed at helping inspectors, testing technicians, engineers and building officials identify and check key quality assurance items on the jobsite. The seminar uses the International Building Code (IBC) and the MSJC (TMS 402/ACI 530/ASCE 5 & TMS 602/ACI 530.1/ASCE 6) as the primary references and it overviews related ASTM standards and inspection guides.
Attendees will learn code inspection requirements, proper placement of materials, mortar and grout, movement joints, how to determine the compressive strength of masonry, and appropriate severe weather procedures. This is an excellent seminar for those preparing for the ICC/TMS Special Masonry Structural Inspectors Certification Examination.
Topics covered will include:
• Basic terms, inspection duties and responsibilities
• Masonry material requirements including CMU, brick, mortar, reinforcement, connectors and grout
• Mortar mixing
• Basic construction including unit placement and tolerances
• Reinforcement placement
• Testing of units, grout and prisms
• Hot and cold weather construction
Seminar Costs and Location
The registration cost for the seminar is:
• $390 per person registering before December 2, 2014 Early Registration Rate
• $480 per person registering after Dec. 2, 2014 and onsite
The seminar will be held at the World of Concrete/Masonry in the Las Vegas Convention Center from 8AM until 5PM. Room location will be announced at a later date. Register online at: http://www.worldofconcrete.com. Look for the TMS logo on the World of Masonry home page for additional information.