RainBarrier® Continuous Insulation
Thermafiber RainBarrier products from Owens Corning are designed for exceptional performance in rain screen and cavity wall construction applications. New RainBarrier HD & RainBarrier 45 provide energy-saving continuous insulation (ci), fire protection, and acoustical control while efficiently draining water from a wall cavity system. RainBarrier products are non-combustible and compatible with common wall ties and air barrier systems.
According to the manufacturer, RainBarrier has several distinct advantages over other insulation products in these types of construction:
- Non-combustible and fire resistant. RainBarrier can withstand temperatures over 2,000°F for over 5 hours. In the event of a fire, mineral wool will not burn or release toxic smoke and gasses.
- Sustainability. Available with a minimum 70% recycle content. No CFC or HCFC blowing agents. Energy saving R-value of 4.2 per inch of thickness.
- Permeable. In a vapor permeable system, RainBarrier allows the building to breathe as it is designed without sacrificing R-value. In a non-permeable system, RainBarrier allows the vapor barrier to perform without creating additional traps for moisture in the wall cavity.
- UV resistant. RainBarrier is ideal for use in open joint systems where UV rays can degrade other insulations.
- Easy to fabricate and install. Semi-rigid mineral wool can conform to jobsite irregularities much better than rigid insulations to ensure a continuous thermal barrier.